Fireproof boxes are sometimes confused with a regular full size safes. But there is a difference. So what is a fire-resistant box? What can you store in it and what are its main features?
Fireproof box – is a type of a fire-resistant safe but usually smaller in size compared to a heavy duty safe. It is designed to protect valuable documents from fire or high heat outbursts. Typically, fireproof boxes are used to keep documents like passports, insurance policies, various certificates and of course cash.
When it comes down to choosing a fire-resistant safeguard for such valuables safe boxes are a very popular choice. Not everyone needs a big and super durable safe. It requires more space and often a special installment. Safe boxes on the other hand don’t take that much space. They are also portable so you can move them easily. Plus they are way cheaper. Yes, they do not provide the same level of protection but that’s because they serve a bit different purpose.
What is a Fireproof Box
A fireproof box is a portable storage container that can protect your valuable documents from fire and heat. It is typically smaller and lighter than a heavy-duty safe, making it easier to move and store. Fireproof boxes are commonly used in homes and businesses to keep important items such as passports, insurance policies, certificates, cash and other paper files safe.
Is a Fireproof Box Really Fireproof?
A common question people want to know the answer to: How fireproof a fire box is actually?
The short answer is – Yes, a fireproof box is indeed fire-resistant. Typically fire boxes have 30-minutes to 1-hour fire rating. They are designed to stay intact in high temperatures up to 1700°F (927°C). However if the temperatures rise above this limit, the items inside can be damaged. If the box stays in fire for a longer duration there’s no guarantee your belongings will remain undamaged.
Fireproof Box vs Fireproof Chest
Sometimes people are confused when they see a description online saying a “Fireproof chest“. So they start wondering what is a fireproof chest? Is it better or worse than a fireproof box? In reality it’s just the marketing name chosen by a store or retailer.
Fireproof chest is essentially the same as fireproof box. It is a secured container of compact size and weight that has fire-resistant capabilities. So these two names in reality describe the same product. And they both look like this:
This one is made by Honeywell. If you are interested in one, check the store for best price:
The only difference may be seen in the shape of the container. Boxes tend to be a bit higher, but this is a very marginal nuance. Therefore if you are looking for a fire-resistant box, do not be surprised to see that it is sometimes labeled as a chest.
Types of fireproof boxes
Fireproof boxes can be categorized in a number of ways. Typically they are divided by these types:
- By size and weight: Fireproof boxes come in a variety of sizes and weights, from small portable boxes that can be carried in a briefcase to large boxes that can themselves store boxes of documents.
- By fire rating: Fireproof boxes are rated to withstand certain temperatures for a certain amount of time. The most common fire ratings are 30 minutes. More advanced models provide 60 minutes fire protection. It is important to choose a fireproof box with a fire rating that meets your needs.
- By brand: There are a number of different brands of fireproof boxes available, including SentrySafe, Honeywell, and others.
- By price: Fireproof boxes can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. The price of a fireproof box will depend on its size, weight, fire rating, brand, and features.
- By lock mechanism: Fireproof boxes are available with a variety of lock mechanisms, including key locks and combination locks.
What Documents are Safe to Store in a Fireproof Box
We all have important documents that we want to keep secured from fire emergencies. A legal financial document, a passport, a health insurance policy, a birth certificate, photos – the list can be vast. And loosing these in a house fire is definitely something we all would like to avoid.
Well, this is when a proper fireproof safe box comes in handy. The fact that safe boxes are really affordable make them extremely popular and manufacturers have long figured that out. There is a great variety of models on the market that combine great price and solid protection.
Typical fire rating for safe boxes:
The most common rating for safe boxes is 1/2 – 1 hour fire and water protection. This is often enough time to take the box and carry it out of a house. Knowing that your irreplaceable documents are safe provide a much needed peace of mind.
When selecting a fireproof safe box always check what rating it has. We recommend getting the products that have been tested and are certified by a well known companies like UL and ETL SEMKO.
Pros & Cons of Fireproof Boxes.
While the fire-resistant boxes are very popular due to their size and portability, this type of secure containers is not with out it’s flaws. In fact, some of the strong sides can also be its weakness.
Check it out to see if this is the right type of fire-resistant solution for you
- Small size that makes boxes portable
- Good capacity to fit wide range of documents and other valuables
- Initial protection that provides limited access to boxes’ contents
- Fire and water protection
- A great variety of budget and inexpensive models
- Offers less Fire and Water protection compared to regular heavy duty safes
- Can only provide limited access to the valuables due to basic key locks
- Less durable than most of full size safes, due to less durable casing.
- Because fireproof boxes are lightweight, they can be carried away or stolen
A fireproof box serves as a practical and cost-effective solution for safeguarding essential documents and valuables from fire emergencies. Its compact size, affordability, and adequate protection make it a popular choice. We hope this article provides you with valuable insights into the world of fireproof boxes. And if you are looking for a reliable fire box yourself, we have this list of Best Fireproof Box for Home Use.