With a significant increase of extremely hot days, followed by a growing number of wildfires in the recent years. As well as more evident consequences of climate change, more people are looking into ways to secure their valuables from fire. One of possible solutions is a fireproof safe.
Fireproof safe – is a type of safe that is designed and constructed in a way that keep its contents safe from fire damage.
In this article, we’ll discuss what a fireproof safe is, what it’s used for, how it works, and the different types of fireproof safes available.
What is a Fireproof Safe?
A fireproof safe is a type of safe that is designed to protect its contents from high levels of heat, from lames and fire. Fireproof safes are made with materials that can withstand high temperatures for extended periods of time. This means that the inside the safe will be secured and preserved even if your home or business catches fire.
You might have seen that such safes are called not only fireproof, but also fire-resistant, or simply as fire safes. There is no difference between these names. All of them mean the same thing essentially. It is the fire rating that actually determines a safe’s ability to withstand heat and fire. If you want to know more about it, check this Fire Ratings & Certification Guide
What Fireproof Safes are Used for
Fireproof safes can be used to store a variety of valuables. If your treasured items require fire-resistant protection because they can be easily damaged or destroyed by heat, then a fire safe is perfect for that.
Some common items that individuals and businesses store in fireproof safes include:
- Documents: Important documents, such as passports, birth certificates, wills etc., should be stored in a safe, or even better in a fireproof one.
- Digital media: You can also use safes to store digital media, such as hard drives and CDs.
- Cash: Just like documents, paper money can be kept secured from both fire and theft.
- Jewelry: Fireproof safes are a great place to store your family heirlooms, jewelry other items that are valuable to you.
How Do Fireproof Safes Work?
Fireproof safes are made with materials that can withstand high temperatures. These materials include thick steel, ceramic fibers, vermiculite, and perlite. The thickness and the density of these materials is higher than in regular safes. It helps to protect its contents from heat and flames.
Other crucial components that contribute to a fireproof safe’s fire resistance include:
- The door seal: A heat-activated seal that melts in the event of a fire to prevent smoke and water from entering the safe.
- The locking mechanism: A high-quality locking mechanism that keeps the door securely closed during a fire.
- The insulation: A layer of insulation material that helps keep the interior temperature low during a fire.
Types of Fireproof Safes
There are different types of fireproof safes available depending on what you want to categorize them by. For example, there are Residential fireproof safes which are designed for use in homes. They typically have a fire rating of 1 to 3 hours.
And there are Commercial fireproof safes that are designed for use in businesses. They typically have a fire rating of 3 to 6 hours.
Some of the most common types of fireproof safes include:
Fireproof safes are a great way to protect valuables from fire damage. Especially in the areas with increasingly unstable weather conditions. But they also provide the same level of security versus theft and burglary as regular ones.
As always – keep yourself safe and your valuables fireproof! 🔥