Jewelry is often one of our most prized possessions. It can combine both great sentimental and financial value. However, jewelry can easily become an object of a theft attempt. It can just as easily be damaged in a fire. That’s why many choose to store it in a safe.
And not a just a regular safe but a fireproof one. If you want to protect you rings, bracelets, brooches, necklaces and wrist watches from fire potential burglary and fire damage, a Fireproof safe is the safest way to store your Jewelry.
In this article we will list and explain all the reasons why a fireproof safe is a necessary investment for anyone who owns this type of valuables.
What Can Happen to Jewelry in a Fire?
When exposed to the intense heat and flames of a fire, any jewelry can suffer serious damage. Your valuable items can literally melt, change color, change shape, stop working properly. Just look at the effects of heat and flames:
- Melting: Jewelry made of gold, silver and mixed metals can melt in a fire. This can cause the jewelry to deform or lose its shape.
- Discoloration: Jewelry can also change color in a fire. This is especially common with silver, which can turn black or brown.
- Fracture: If jewelry has parts made of a brittle material like crystal, they can fracture under heat.
- Destruction: Pieces made of a low-melting-point metals or that one with complex structures, like wristwatches can be completely ruined.
How Fire Can Damage Gold and Silver Items
The materials commonly used in jewelry – gold, silver, and their mixes are all prone to damage from high temperatures. The heat can lead to warping, distortion, and irreversible changes in their appearance.
Gold for example starts melting at 1,943°F (1,064°C). Silver’s melting point is 1,763°F. And these are the possible temperatures during strong house fires. Here’s a table showing melting temperatures for most popular precious metals:
How Fire Can Damage Wrist Watches
Wrist watches, due to their mechanical complexity, can easily suffer internal damage when exposed to fire or high heat. The intricate mechanisms of both mechanical and quartz watches can be compromised. And even if the watch is not completely destroyed it is likely to lose accuracy and reliability.
Also, it’s worth noting that even a relatively moderate (by the standards of a house fire) temperature above 140ºF (60ºC) can harm your valued timepiece. And in case of luxury watches the cost of substantial repair work is very high.
How Fire Can Damage Precious Gemstones Used in Jewelry
It’s fair to say that gems like diamonds are cherished and beloved by many. They are very expensive and sought after. And while diamonds are truly durable gemstones, they are not the only precious gemstones used in jewelry.
There are also emeralds, pearls, topaz, amethysts and others. Not all of them can withstand high temperatures. Some are actually very susceptible to the negative affects of heat and fire. Those can cause internal fractures, change the coloring and clarity. Which will irreversibly decrease the overall value of a stone.
Here’s a table showing the effects of high temperatures and fire on all popular gemstones used in jewelry:
How a Fireproof Safe Can Protect Your Jewelry
When you get a safe you get a thief protection. When you get a fireproof safe you get a thief protection PLUS a safeguard against all kinds of fire accidents on top of it. So, you get two advantageous characteristics in a single product:
- Fire protection: Fireproof safes are engineered with the ability to endure high temperatures and flames, which is perfect when it comes down to protection fragile jewelry pieces. A fireproof safe with UL Class 125 rating will not only protect your rings, bracelets or necklaces. But this level of fire resistance is enough to protect even wrist watches with their complicated and fragile mechanisms.
How long will you jewelry be protected in a fireproof safe? This will depend on the fire rating of the safe. Your valuables will be undamaged at least for the duration indicated in the rating. So if it is a 1 hour fireproof safe, you can expect jewelry to remain intact for 1 hour. If it’s a 3-hours fireproof safe, you can stop worrying for 3 hours.
- Superior security: Fireproof safes have enhanced security through design. A good fireproof safe will often feature thicker walls. Which adds not only to their fire resistance but also to their ability to effectively defend against burglary. This is a bonus protection for your jewelry.
The Benefits of Storing Jewelry in a Fireproof Safe
There are many benefits to storing your jewelry in a fireproof safe. Here are a few of the most important ones:
- Peace of mind: Knowing that your jewelry is safe from fire damage can give you peace of mind. This is especially important if you live in an area that is prone to fires or high crime rates for that matter.
- Protection from theft: A good fireproof safe can also help to protect your jewelry from theft. This is because fireproof safes are typically made with strong steel or concrete walls and use locking mechanisms that are difficult to break.
- Convenience: A fireproof safe provides a secure place to store all of your jewelry in one spot. This can save you time when you are looking for a particular piece of jewelry, because you always know here it is. And obviously no one is prohibiting you from keeping other valuables in your safe, like important documents, money, etc.
- Stable and Increased value: That’s right, storing your jewelry in a fireproof safe can also increase its value. Because when you shield your pieces from potential damage, these items keep their aesthetic appeal, sentimental significance for many years. And wit time precious metals and luxury watches tend to increase in value.
- Insurance and Loss Mitigation: If your jewelry is stored in a fireproof safe, it may be eligible for a higher insurance coverage. And of course, in the event of a fire, having your jewelry stored in a fireproof safe can help to mitigate your losses.
How to Choose a Fireproof Safe for Jewelry
If you are looking for a fireproof safe to store your jewelry, there are several factors you need to consider. The most important are:
- Fire ratings required for different jewelry
- Size of your jewelry collection
- The monetary worth of your jewelry
Read this comprehensive article on How to Choose a fireproof safe for your jewelry if you want to see the detailed guide.
Or you can go straight to our list of Top 5 affordable fireproof safes for jewelry We have already done the analysis there and selected the best safes that will protect your jewelry and won’t cost you a fortune.
If you have jewelry that is valuable for you would naturally want to protect your it from all possible hazards. Be it fire, theft, water damage or anything else. Storing your jewelry in a fireproof safe is one of the best ways to do this.
Fireproof safes have inherent benefits that come from their design. They withstand high temperatures while providing top notch locks and security features to stop thieves. Consider this when choosing the best way to secure your jewelry.